Join the team of volunteers who help families receive much-needed tax refunds.
Natrona County families need your help in preparing their taxes, so they can receive tax refunds that help them on a path to financial stability.
In 2018, VITA volunteers helped nearly 1,819 families receive more than $2.1 million in refunds. These refunds help families pay bills, cover basic needs, and save for the future.
No prior tax experience is required, and training is free for all volunteers.
Do I need to be a CPA to volunteer?
No, anyone can volunteer.
What is the time commitment to become a dedicated volunteer?
After training has concluded, we ask for one shift, 3-5 hours per week. Training to become a greeter takes two hours. Training to become a tax preparer consists of 10 hours of classroom training and an additional 20+ hours of self-study.
Which site will I be assigned to?
You select the site you find most convenient.
Can I change my volunteer schedule if I need to?
Absolutely, you are in charge of your schedule. You will schedule yourself using SignUp.com.
What are my training options?
Self-study or classroom training. We offer a 5-day training session in early January from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
I have a friend that volunteers. Could we sign up for the same shifts?
Absolutely, the buddy system works great!
What if I don't know the answer to a question a taxpayer asks?
You will be fully supported by the other volunteers and site leaders, who can help at any time. You will also have your training materials available. In addition, we assign all new volunteers a mentor for the first few weeks of the tax season.
How many clients can I expect to assist during the tax season?
We anticipate one client per hour, so anywhere from 36 to 100, depending on how many times you volunteer per week.
What if I get hungry? Can I bring a snack?
Sure, but we also have a variety of snacks available for you. In addition, we have a refrigerator and microwave for convenience. Coffee and water are provided for volunteers.
What if I don’t pass the certification test to become a tax preparer?
You will receive two chances to take the test but may also choose to become a greeter.
- Free materials, training and testing to become IRS certified
- A network of like-minded individuals who are giving back to our community
- Welcome and thank you receptions with other volunteers
- Support from staff to answer questions and guide you throughout your experience
- Flexibility in picking the shifts and locations that work best for you
- A meaningful skill to add to your resume
- Trust from clients, who share parts of their lives with their financial information
Volunteer Positions Needed
- Welcome taxpayers and oversee the sign-in process
- Complete a checklist with the taxpayer to confirm documentation
- Participate in a two-hour training in January
- Meet face-to-face with the taxpayer to gather information, review documents, and prepare the tax return
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after quality review process is complete
- Participate in the IRS tax training and achieve basic or advanced certification in December
- Check completed tax forms for errors using a checklist and advise tax preparer of needed changes
- Circulate among the team to provide support and answer questions
- Participate in the IRS tax training and receive advanced certification in December